We operate Edge | Lead Developer as a business, providing property development courses, property investment courses, real estate feasibility applications and models as well as a discussion forum facility for our members.
Please treat this discussion forum with the same respect you would a public park. We, too, are a shared community resource — a place to share skills, knowledge and interests through ongoing conversation.
These are not hard and fast rules. They are guidelines to aid the human judgment of our community and keep this a kind, friendly place for civilized public discourse.
Help us make this a great place for discussion by always adding something positive to the discussion, however small. If you are not sure your post adds to the conversation, think over what you want to say and try again later.
One way to improve the discussion is by discovering ones that are already happening. Spend time browsing the topics here before replying or starting your own (where allowed), and you’ll have a better chance of meeting others who share your interests.
The topics discussed here matter to us, and we want you to act as if they matter to you, too. Be respectful of the topics and the people discussing them, even if you disagree with some of what is being said.
You may wish to respond by disagreeing. That’s fine. But remember to criticize ideas, not people. Please avoid:
Ad hominem attacks
Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content
Instead, provide thoughtful insights that improve the conversation.
The conversations we have here set the tone for every new arrival. Help us influence the future of this community by choosing to engage in discussions that make this forum an interesting place to be — and avoiding those that do not.
Edge provides tools that enable the community to collectively identify the best (and worst) contributions: bookmarks, likes, flags, replies, edits, watching, muting and so forth. Use these tools to improve your own experience, and everyone else’s, too.
Let’s leave our community better than we found it.
Moderators have special authority; they are responsible for this forum. But so are you. With your help, moderators can be community facilitators, not just janitors or police.
When you see bad behaviour, don’t reply. Replying encourages bad behaviour by acknowledging it, consumes your energy, and wastes everyone’s time. Just flag it. If enough flags accrue, action will be taken, either automatically or by moderator intervention.
In order to maintain our community, moderators reserve the right to remove any content and any user account for any reason at any time. Moderators do not preview new posts; the moderators and site operators take no responsibility for any content posted by the community.
Nothing sabotages a healthy conversation like rudeness:
Be civil. Don’t post anything that a reasonable person would consider offensive, abusive, or hate speech.
Keep it clean. Don’t post anything obscene or sexually explicit.
Respect each other. Don’t harass or grief anyone, impersonate people, or expose their private information.
Respect our forum. Don’t post spam or otherwise vandalize the forum.
These are not concrete terms with precise definitions — avoid even the appearance of any of these things. If you’re unsure, ask yourself how you would feel if your post was featured on the front page of a major news site.
Parts of Edge are public, and search engines index these discussions. Keep the language, links, and images safe for family and friends.
Make the effort to put things in the right place, so that we can spend more time discussing and less cleaning up. So:
Where allowed, don’t start a topic in the wrong category; please read the category definitions.
Don’t cross-post the same thing in multiple topics.
Don’t post no-content replies.
Don’t divert a topic by changing it midstream.
Don’t sign your posts — every post has your profile information attached to it.
Rather than posting “+1” or “Agreed”, use the Like button. Rather than taking an existing topic in a radically different direction, use Reply as a Linked Topic.
You may not post anything digital that belongs to someone else without permission. You may not post descriptions of, links to, or methods for stealing someone’s intellectual property (software, video, audio, images), or for breaking any other law.
- You may not use URL shorteners to obfuscate the true destination of a link you post on the forums for the purposes of hiding affiliate or referral links.
- The use of affiliate or referral links when linking to third-party products or services is strictly forbidden.
- Do not suggest or recommend that someone undertakes illegal or fraudulent activity for any purpose.
- This includes acts which are likely to be construed as tax evasion, or avoid your other responsibilities under Australian law.
- This also includes incitement to illegally download or pirate material, distribution of pirated or illegally copied material, or linking to sites which promote or facilitate such activities.
- Finally, suggesting that people send around bikies or some thug to “kneecap” tenants who don’t pay their rent or someone who doesn’t pay their bills, is tasteless, unfunny, unhelpful, illegal and does not help the reputation of property investors.
- You are not permitted post messages seeking JV partners for property projects, except in designated areas set up specifically for this purpose.
- Soliciting investors in any investment scheme or making offers for people to purchase securities or any other fundraising activity which is regulated by ASIC is strictly forbidden.
- Soliciting of “Likes” - requesting or suggesting that people like your content, or colluding with others to like each other’s content will result in likes being removed in bulk and potentially being banned from the site.
- Similarly, requesting that others make recommendations of your products or services or colluding with others to recommend each other’s products or services is strictly forbidden and may result in all parties being banned from the site.
- A Sock Puppet is an online identity used for the purpose of deception.
- Using a fake account to promote yourself or your business, or to post negative or damaging comments about a competitor or third party is strictly forbidden.
- Astroturfing is the practice of masking the sponsors of a message or organisation to make it appear as though it originates from and is supported by grassroots participants.
- You are not permitted to post on behalf of a business or third party - whether for monetary gain or any other arrangement - without declaring your affiliation and making it clear as to who you represent and under what arrangement. This especially applies to reputation management, public relations or marketing companies.
- Any business discovered to be engaging in sock-puppetry or undeclared representation is likely to be reported to the ACCC, who have made it clear that they will deal harshly with businesses engaging in such deceptive conduct in online communities.
- We permit only genuine reviews to be posted (either positive or negative), so if we have a little track record of contribution from a new member by which to judge their credibility, we will generally err on the side of caution and remove those comments to avoid the perception or appearance of astroturfing.
- You are not permitted to promote or advertise your own business in any way in Edge posts, profile posts, a profile description, media, resources or comments on any other content on the site.
- You cannot use company logos owned by you or third-parties as your profile image.
- There are specific exceptions for Business Members who have certain promotional activities that they are allowed to undertake within specific sections of the website.
- Promotion or advertising by Business Members outside of these designated sections of the site is strictly forbidden.
- To be clear - using the “Location” field for anything other than a physical location or posting links or promotional material in profile posts or status updates - is not permitted.
- Using thread tags with your company name to highlight threads you’ve posted in is also considered to be self-promotion.
- Soliciting business is requesting or suggesting that people contact you or visit your website or other commercial content you have posted online.
- You are not permitted to solicit business either directly or indirectly in Edge posts, profile posts, comments or any other content on the site.
- You are not permitted to promote your services or business via unsolicited private conversations - unless explicitly invited to do so.
- Someone posting on the forums asking for recommendations of a service provider does NOT constitute an invitation to contact them via private conversation and you are not permitted to do so.
- These rules apply to all members, including Business Members.
- You are not permitted to link to your own website or blog in Edge posts or other content for the purposes of referencing an article or content you have already written.